Friday 18 January 2013

Time in the Garage


Been spending time in the garage the last few weeks... sorting bikes.

Finally got around to doing something on the Wee Monster over Crimbo/New Year. The last time I did anything on this bike (besides race it... and win trophies...) was when I converted her back to a road racer after her stint as a flattracker. Yes... I did race this puppy on the dirt oval... where she bit me... deep. She's a fussy old tart that don't like the dirt. I think that was nearly 4 years ago now.


At one of the races last year, all the bikes in the series were weighed. Maximum allowed weight = 150 kg. Almost all the bikes in my class were between 155 and 165. Mine was the heaviest beeatch there - a porky 168kg. A diet was well overdue...

I did a bit of cutting... and a bit of grinding.


A couple of other bits and pieces... like stealing the front mudguard off the Monster S4r - a 200g advantage there. This is the theory of 'marginal gains' at work...



The belly-pan is pretty thick... and robust. Holding it in my hands, I reckoned I could make a lighter one. Besides bodywork repairs, I've never made anything with GRP. Out with that finger-pokin' glass-fibre sheet and that finger-stickin' resin... I didn't really know what I was doing... just making it up as I went along...

First tape up the original piece... and spray with some furniture polish...


Then slap on some mixed resin and a layer of glass-fibre sheet...

 
This shit was curing so fast, I had to do it in 4 sections. Man, I love the smell of resin in the mornin'!
  

 
Jeeeesus! All that graft just to make a tatty, crappy mould. There's gotta be a better way to do this... but I didn't really give a shit... I had time... it was cold outside... and I was gettin' hiiiiiiigh!


Clean-up the mould... and do it all again... tape, furniture polish, resin, glas-fibre sheet, dab, dab, dab... never stroke.

Surprisingly, I managed to get the new belly-pan-like-thing out of the mould without destroying the new part... or the mould. Ace! There's definitely something wrong with my technique... the part was full of tiny bubble-holes. No smooth, flawless finish here. I've heard the term 'gel-coat' and recon this must have something to do with it. Oh well... fuck it. Out with the body-filler and sander...


After a bit of sanding, it didn't look too bad. The proof will be when I cut it to fit, slap on some brackets and give it a nice, flat coat of satin black. It'll probably look like shit, but if it saves a few grams, that means it'll help me go faster... and that's all I want from the old gal.

No comments:

Post a Comment