Saturday 16 May 2009

The Taste of Dirt

Got up to Peterborough by 07:45. Usual rush to offload, sign-on, fettle the bike, get kitted and get out for practice.

Wet patches all over... but two big ones down the straight bits. Got it sideways and out the seat during the first session down the first straight. Hmmm... must watch out for that...
(don't look too closely...)

Second session... second lap... sideways... then I was off... sky, crowd, dirt, sky, dirt... crunch. I bite the dirt.

I slide down the track... wincing as I expect impact from the bikes behind me. I stop sliding and whump! El Monstero slides gently into me. An affectionate nudge compared to what I was expecting. I see the last few riders scrambling to avoid me. Shit!

I get up and haul the beast up. I try and push the bike to the centre of the track. Fuck! My left wrist nearly kills me as I push the bars. Clutch in? Bollocks! My left hand ain't working so good.

The riders come around again... I stand next to the bike, hoping they've all seen me... they have and slither around me. I'm on the right side of the bike. I can't use my left hand, can't get it into
 neutral... there is a marshal on the grass 10 yards away... his back to me. I shout. He can't hear over the thunder of bikes as they come around for another lap. Fuck! I thought they'd red flag the session so I can get my ass off the track. The marshal still has his back to me. Muppet! I reach over the bike to try find neutral with my hand... left hand... Fuck! That hurts!

The session ends. Mister sleepy marshal wakes up and walks over to help me. I ask him to help me try get it into neutral. He looks at me puzzled. I don't think he knew what the feck what that meant or how to go about it. So I ask him to pull the clutch in... I have to show him what to do before he does this. I push the bike to the grass with my right hand. He didn't have a fenking clue!

Next session is out. So I check at the damage on the bike... throttle cable fooked. Shit, I've lost a brake lever too... Fuck! The whole master cylinder! Doh! Takes a few seconds to realise that I took it off on purpose a few nights ago. I didn't land on my head. I was just procrastinating. Looking at the bike and not my wrist. I finally looked at my glove... it was starting to feel tight already. I knew it was fooked... I felt it when I went down. Shit... as I was picking the bike up I was already cursing under mytbreath: "Fuck! That'll be my racing over for this weekend". Funny how you know straight away.


I didn't even check the other damage on the bike - I knew my weekend's racing was over. I fiddled around to get it in neutral and pushed it with my good hand across the grass and back to the paddock after the session.

(... 15 minutes after the incident... needed my stanley knife to get it off!)

I got changed (with difficulty - try get out of one piece leathers with one hand), cut off my wrist band and found the paramedic. He took one look and said "It's broken." I thought so.


They gave me a temporary bandage and Gary (Mr. sideburn) helped me load the busted-up Monster. I took a bunch of pain killers ands drove the two hours back to my local A&E. 30 minutes later ands I'd been x-rayed and the nurse confirmed: broken wrist... in two places. Fuck!

(El Paramedico!)

They plastered me up and I drove home. Had a beer, unpacked, washed the bike and my neighbor helped me off-load the bike.

Funny... in the back of my mind I'm feel relieved that I can take some time-out to heal. I've been balls-to-the-wall busy with bikes and work since mid Feb. Been feeling really tired and worn-out. The Universe told me to take it easy... but of course... I didn't listen... so now I'm being forced to take it easy. Nothing ever happens by accident.

(the dent in the tank made bigger... and a hole in it now!)

Regards the crash... well, Pete boast and the other 'pro' riders all recon lack of steering lock is the culprit. Problem with road bikes... probably why mine was the only roadie bike out there. 
Been thinking about it scientifically... the rear slides, you counter-steer, the slide is greater than the steering lock, the front wheel cannot spin/point in the direction of travel and lands up sliding sideways... it drags, friction is great, the top of the bike flips over and it just spits you off. Eat dirt man!

BUT! The big question is... did the Ti shoe work?

3 comments:

  1. wondered why you were takin a break in the middle of the track!!.
    you gotta be carefull wi the road bikes limeted lock, its best just to 2 wheel em through the corners.
    dont be put off though m8 a monster has been raced b4, and although it was b4 i started, he went ok on it. its a learning curve!!!.
    good luck wi the healing.
    stevie #28

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete