Thursday 13 May 2010

Enduro News from Africa


My brother, Igor, competed in the Mafeking 400 National Off-Road this past weekend. He crashed heavily 3 weeks ago while setting a course, cracking some ribs and hurting his shoulder. The weekend in his words:
"Time trial on Fri was a little challenging, hadn't ridden a mo-cicle for about 3weeks, in fact I think thats the longest stretch that I haven't ridden since I started this here sport.
So needless to say the time trial was a darstardly affair... couldnt get a rythm, loose in and out of corners, ribs hurt like a S.O.B. generaly rode like a girl, and got a 82 position to start the race... didn't mind, I knew I was hurtin, and had totake it easy, I was going  to finish this race, not race it.
Anyhow, Sat came and the race course led us into the first loop of 200km thru thicksand and thorn bush, quite technical for a National off-road, with all the weaving(and ploughing) thru the folliage. Lots of riders couldn't take the pace in thissection, it saps a lot of energy riding in thick sand, over whoops and aroundcountless bastard thorn bushes. Thats where I knew I could make time... just put head down, open throttle and fight thru the pain... got my mo-jo back !
Got into the main pit and we had a 15 min de-control, things were good, bike 100%, body ok, smoked my team principal in the first 100km....! ( and that clown started2min ahead of me)
My bling team jearsy has been reduced to a workshop rags by the thorns... no shit. My arms didnt look that much better. Went out on the second loop (100km) and soon saw it was the same trail as last year, more open and flowing. So I relaxed into a nice rythm and finished strong in 11th inseniors... F'ing A! That result moved me from 13th to 11th in the National Seniorchampionship. Shit.... didn't think I could do that carrying an injury."
Well done Chief!

No comments:

Post a Comment