Friday 7 May 2010

Erzberg Training in Scotland - Day 2


Al, the trials pro joined us down the quarry on Sunday. Sporting a helmet he had only worn once (he normally rides with just a snoopy-hat), he said that it gave him more confidence. Bejeesus! As if he needed it!

Al showing off at the top of a big climb

 This is a 5 foot vertical boulder that Al managed to get up by just bouncing off a rock on the ground! Pure class!

Al and Mike taking a break for all that boulder-hopping

At first I just wasn't into it. Tired, stiff and sore from the day before I made many mistakes. but after an hour or so of crashing I got my shit together and started to ride properly. I spent the next four hours abusing my bike and body.

Mike getting up a gnarly boulder on the first attempt.

 Looks easy when others are doing it. I didn't have the nads to try this on the KTM... but now that I'm in comfort behind my PC I'm thinking 'I could have had that!'. Yeah... right!

It was another brilliant day in the quarry. There were some 4x4s there in the morning, so we kept out of their way and where they couldn't go. When they left, they set a pile of tyres on fire - bunch of wankers. This brought the old bill to the quarry... but they just asked if we knew who set the tyres on fire and then called the fire dept. No grief. If that was in England, we probably would have had our bikes confiscated and been chased off. Bonny Scotland!

All packed up and ready for another evening in front of the fire...

My body really felt the two days abuse. My tendons in my good wrist were inflamed that night and started pressing the nerves - it felt as if I had broken every bone in my hand! A handful of painkillers and muscle relaxants downed with beer and a good nights sleep helped. Now, 4 days after riding, I'm still feeling a bit stiff and sore. The worst being my hands, wrists and forearms from hauling the fallen bike around. The pain is all good training for Erzberg!

No comments:

Post a Comment