Tuesday 15 December 2009

To the Dark Side

After the running Mike's wee monster at this year's Manx GP successfully, but only as fast as the modest 60bhp would allow us, I asked the Manx MCC to make allowances for air-cooled twins in the Ultralightweight class and allow me to run a 696 or 800cc monster at next year's Manx GP (similar bhp to a 'Minitwin' Suzuki SV650). This request was turned down. Looks like as with the TT, the organizers make the rules to suit cookie-cutter racing... this of course makes it all easier for them to organise and police. Yep, another-fuckin-jix-ah-thou.

So... if you can't beat 'em. Join 'em.

Not having the time to build another race bike (I'm working away from home 5 days a week and have a flat-tracker project coming up...) I started looking for an SV race bike two weeks ago. It turns out that SDC Performance were building a couple... so I jumped.

Speaking to Gary at SDC on teh phone, it felt a bit weird 'ordering' your race bike. Engine tune... rear shock... frame color... wheel color... bodywork. Felt like I was in the garage on 'Need for Speed' scrolling through options and hitting the 'Select' button on bling go-fast doodabs... some just because they're cool.

Only 10 days ago the deposit was made and the build began.

Starting with pulling apart an el cheapo 2001 road bike...



Clean and prep all the bits. Full engine service, comp check, shim clearances...



Give it a lick of paint...




And then put it all back together again...



Some tasty custom SDC parts like front and rear subframes...



So far lookin' good. Got some updated pics from Gary today that I'll post later.

Feels strange that I'm burning the midnight oil over it in my garage. Like it's not really happening... like I'm reading some blokes blog about their bike build.

No comments:

Post a Comment