Sunday 12 May 2013

Classic TT Build - Start

I got the flattracker prepped for next weekend... and then got the 888 onto the bench for some lovin...

 
First up were those crap brakes...
 
Filthy!
 
Disgusting syrupy-snot brake fluid.

Iron discs are still good... but rivets or even the carrier may be worn. Need to get them refurbed.
 
With the brakes all clean, fresh brake fluid and some new Brembo sintered pads... the brakes were proper again. I test rode the bike on Saturday afternoon. Loads of stopping power now :-)


I also started taking off some bits I don't need...

This is the air intake collector. There is mesh on the front fairing intakes, but some muppet put more mesh and sponge in the air-pipe. Not much airflow going through there.

Non-standard stickers on second-hand bikes always hide damage. Pity. I like carbon.

First 'TT Proof' activity. Stainless mesh on the rads.

R&G toe guard is pretty heavy and doesn't give enough required coverage over the sprocket for different gearing... It'll go back on Fleabay soon... out with the grinder...

Made a proper coverage toe guard from some 50x100 ally box section. Maybe not a pretty as the R&G one (still needs some angles to it) but nearly 50% lighter, adjustable and will get me through skrootineering :-)
.

The box of bits I don't need is starting to fill...

Coolant is nasty to race-tracks. Drained and system flushed. Replaced with regulatory water.

I didn't get through as much as I wanted... with all road bikes, once you take things apart, there's a whole cleaning to be done.  I spent most of the time with the bike just looking. Figuring things out. Seeing what I need, what I need to change, what bits I need, how things work on this old machine and working on problems I need to solve.

The most used tools of the weekend were my eyes and measurers.
 
Despite being 21 years old, she is generally in really good nick. I am impressed. I how her innards are as good as her shapely outside. There's still a shit-load of work to be done on her...
 

1 comment:

  1. I hope to get to see this bike race at the Manx,

    ReplyDelete