Wednesday 10 March 2010

Flattrack Project

It's 5 hours past my bedtime and I can't get no sleep. Perfect opportunity to tell about my Flattrack project Steve from RedMaxSpeedshop (and avid Harley Flatracker) alluded to in a past comment.

This year I want to race Flattrack. Getting smashed up last year hasn't put me off... in fact, it's given me a warped determination. So warped that despite planning it for the last 6 months, first practice was on Sunday (past) and I still don't have a bike to ride.

I scrapped the Ducati Monster idea of last year after persuasion from my mates and applying a bit of common sense. Yes, yes... it would be 'cool', but would just land up spending a wad of cash to get smashed up again. Monster = too fat, too heavy

There were dreams of a Co-Built frame and I was a night away from a road-trip to Frankfurt to buy a ex Jacopo Monti (?) Woods Rotax framer - too slow boy!

So... we've run out of time and money... looks like they took my friends. Next practice is in 3 weeks and first race in 5. This is going to be a fly by night adventure. I can tell you this... it'll be a Thunderbike, people will shake their heads and tut-tut... but it'll be better than the old Monster and be a scalable solution (work-speak taking over...).

This means it'll be a kind-of road-bike that I'll develop with the help of friends (that I hope will return) over the year and in the end have a kick-ass, mutts-nutts framer. Dreams.

Time will tell...

1 comment: