Sunday 7 June 2015

TT Day 7 - Last Chance to Qualify

Friday morning we got to the garage early and started prep on the bikes. In the evening we had 2 short practice sessions, one for each bike. It is the last opportunity to set a qualifying time - best lap so far of 111mph on the Supersport is cutting it a bit fine... need to go faster.

Hustling the Triumph through Greeba Castle

The plan is to get 1 lap in on the wee bike, come in early and get out on the Triumph at the start of its session to make sure we get 2 laps in. The second will be a flying lap which adds around 1 mph to our average - we need everything we can get!

Dom Herbertson giving his Fireblade Superbike some love

The Triumph is still flashing an error code on the dash that we need to get checked out. In miserable drizzle, I haul it down to Jason Griffiths Motorcycles near Castletown while Nic preps the Lightweight bike. The error code is caused by low voltage. We ran the battery flat trying to start it on Thursday. The error code is reset and are relieved to see it all clear.


We get new tyres for both bikes - we're on top of things and get to the paddock early. Everything is ready and we're chilled out. We take a 30 minute break before skroot opens and  I get 40 winks in the back of the van. Calm before the storm.

Some rest - the calm before the storm

Skrootineering opens and we're in the queue with the wee bike. As we edge to the front of queue, Nic notices the transponder is missing. We took it off the recharge it and it's back at the garage recharging. Without the transponder we won't be allowed out on track. Bugger! I get back to the van and move the barriers to get it out the back of the paddock and step in it to get across Douglas to the garage.

The queue for skrootineering

The roads are closing in 30 minutes and there are queues of traffic everywhere. I use all the Douglas back-street knowledge I have to pick my way through the lines of cars and spectators making their way to the course for spectating. I pickup the transponder and thread my way back to the paddock, using my temporary gate at the back to get in again.

Nic has got the wee bike through skroots, but it is put in the 'sin-bin' until the transponder is fitted. I get the transponder fitted and the bike ready on tyre warmers while Nic gets in the queue with the Triumph. We got this sorted.

Friday practice is the first time the electric bikes get out

Some trick looking kit - this is the future!

Hmmmm, maybe not. Triumph fails skrootineering. We knew the steering damper was marginally too short... turns out it was too short according to the rules. Shit! The damper setup was supposed to be temporary anyway. I run around the crowded paddock to find JT who had the proper kit that arrived on Thursday. I eventually find JT and get the kit from him. Nic and I get busy fitting the kit in the skrootineering sin-bin. The proper kit won't fit. Not enough space with our modified tank in place :-(

We are running out of time - the first session is out in 20 minutes. we abandon the Triumph and I go get my kit on and warmed up. On my way down to the van, I pop into the race shop. They have a different steering damper kit that just may work. I shell out the cash and go get my gear on.

I get back up to the assembly area a few minutes before we go out. Nic has the wee bike all fueled up, tyre pressures done and warmed up. We make a plan - I will do 2 laps on the wee bike, while I'm out there, Nic will try fit the new steering damper on the Triumph and get it through skrootineering. I try re-focus and minutes later head off down Glencrutchery Road.

Wagon and Horse Leap

The wee bike is feeling good - it takes half a lap to get my mind back into it and then I get the hammer down. Before I know it I'm being flagged into the assembly area at the end of my second lap. I meet Nic. He's got the steering damper fitted and the Triumph through skroots... he's just topping up the fuel. If I can get out in the next few minutes, I have a chance of getting 2 laps in. The bike's tyres are cold, so the first lap will be slow - I need that flying lap.

Speed Therapy on national TV - unfortunately for the wrong reasons!
Nic works on the Triumph in the skroot sin-bin in the background

Down Glencrutchery Road... Bray Hill, Ago's Leap... down to Quarter bridge. I turn in. I have to pick the bike up to avoid hitting the curb. Jeez! I get back on the throttle. We made some major changes since the run out on the bike. Definitely better... but she's sharper too. I warm the tyres through to Union Mills and then stretch to cables. Got to get that qualifying lap in!

The bike feels a lot better... still not great, but a lot better. I can go faster. Use more throttle and keep on the gas. I still get bounced out of the seat a few times. It feels faster and I'm gearing up for a fast flying lap. Down through Governor's dip and my heart sinks. The 'End of Session' board is up and we are flagged back in. No flying lap ;-(

Burning the midnight oil...

They closed the session just a minute before I got back. It was close. Oh well. We gave it a go. Qualifying is over. Saturday we have an untimed practice session in the morning so we pack up and head back to the garage to prep the bikes. We stop and get a Chinese on the way and bump into Mark Rutherford. Soon we're back at the garage, refueled on working monosodium glutemate and working on the bikes.

Battle scars

Only later, when we get back to our accommodation at 01h00 am I able to check the laptimes from the day. 109mph on the wee bike. Nice. 109mph on the Triumph. It felt fast, but I didn't better my 111mph for earlier in the week. Initially disappointed. I look closer at the timing sheets. I'm qualified... in both Lightweight and Supersport classes!!! Yeeeeeha!

Always good to be on the first page...

We are the last qualifier in Superpsort - we're in!!!


3 comments:

  1. Who's the rest of your pit crew Paul?

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done m8!!, been good reading ur blog, hope you can fine tune the triumph a bit more before the races.
    keep it pinned dude!!!!

    ReplyDelete