Tuesday 23 August 2011

ManxGP 2011 - Day 3 - First Practice

Warm and sunny... I shit you not. The whole day? Yessssiree!

Sorted Suzy V's footpeg in the morning and had time to go to Douglas for a wee bit o shopping. Loaded my katunga and the bikes after lunch and stopped by Padgett's on the way to the Day Paddock. I needed to change Suzy V's gearing and the front sprocket nut was on as tight as a bastard. Half a minute of rattle-gun action was needed to sort that out.

Bikes lined up in pit lane before practice

Into the paddock to change the gearing, then up to skrootineering. Both bikes sail through.The Day Paddock is as far as one can get from the skrootineering... down a steep hill. Every Manx I get worn out on the first few days just from hauling bikes around and going up the hill, then down the hill, going up the hill, then down the hill... my body's just not used to it. The riding is the easy bit!

Back of the Chevy needed a sort out!

I go down the hill again and haul up the top-up fuel, some tools, paddock stands and other bits and bobs in my wee cart. I realize the most stressful thing for me is getting the bikes through skrootineering and ready to rock. All sorted... so I can now relax, take on some liquids and get some food down my gullet.

The queue for skrootineering

Because today is the first practice, the Newcomers go off first on a sighting lap. Then the modern classes are up, followed by the classics. Last year was a boon with great weather and Suzy V was in the Ultralightweight class which practices with the classics. This meant that most days I got two laps in on each bike. This year Suzy V is in her own class - the 'Supertwins'. The Supertwins is in the same practice session as Candy's class, the Senior. This cuts my track time in half - I'll be happy to get two laps a day :-(


Candy gives a fuel sample to the nurse...


Pretty soon I got Candy pointed down Bray Hill... the starter taps my shoulder and I ease her off the line. It's been a year since I got her off the line, so I don't too too well and land up following a slow-going Minitwin down the hill. Easily past him over Ago's Leap and onward to Quarterbridge. Nice and slow... new, cold tyres, different suspension setup and a full tank of fuel. She pulls well and sounds great... "Brrrraaap, brrrraaaaaap, brrrrraaaaaaaapppppp..." Down to Braddan Bridge.

Candy catches some rays while waiting in pit lane

I keep on reminding myself to take it easy... this is first practice. I remember all the corner's but find myself in the wrong part of the track a few times. Silly boy. I slow myself down. She's handling the bumps better than she ever has, but she's become a pig to turn in. I've set her up like a chopper... need to ease that a bit. Clutch is slipping too. Bugger! Thought I'd fixed that.

A bit more pasta before getting suited 'n booted

We bang out a 102.7mph lap with a speed of 148.5 mph through Sulby Straight speed trap. I think our fastest last year was 150mph. So there's more to come!


Candy through Ballacraine

I pull in after 1 lap and hop on Suzy V who has been warmed up by friends in the paddock. I blast off down Bray Hill... but she feels feeble after the rocket-ride on Candy. No worries... I just keep he pinned. She loves it! The tacho goes on the blink again and show's 17 000rpm past the Highlander Pub... so I can't be scientific about the gearing.. But it doesn't feel too long. Over the bad bumps she shakes her head around a bit... nearly getting a tank slapper through Glen Duff. Need to check that... I haven't changed a thing on the suspension from last year the damper was brand new.


Suzy V through Ballacraine

A lap of 97.8mph and a Sulby speed of 136.7mph. Not a bad start. Last year we couldn't beat 139mph through the trap. With more power I've geared he a bit longer... so am hoping for more speed. We'll see... this is a good starting point :-)

Laps on closed roads of the TT Mountain Course - nothing like it!

Qualification times this year are a percentage of the fastest qualifier. Based on last year's times, 97mph is needed in the Supertwins... and 104mph in the Senior. So we still got work to do.

Ah - it's great to be back!

2 comments: