Wednesday 8 July 2009

War

A brilliant post on the Sideburn blog this morning:

Thanks Al McQ for the cool pic of your father and the bit about WWII bomber crews.

I had a great Uncle who was part of a bomber crew during and after D-Day. He survived against the odds but never said a word about the experience to anyone when he returned - not even to his wife.

Only a few weeks ago when I was recovering from my operation, I'd feel really down. So I'd watch realistic WWII movies (Band of Brothers episode 1 to 10). While sitting in the comfort of my living room, having just eaten a hot meal and sipping good beer, I'd see the shit that these guys went through - and people all over the world are still going through. I'd feel a whole lot better about my situation in life and the little bit of pain and discomfort I was feeling.

A reality check.


No comments:

Post a Comment