Tuesday 18 August 2009

# 98 :-(


The race number you are allocated for the Manx GP is a seeding. The number they give you is an indication of how fast they think you'll go based on previous races and IOM experience. Simmilar to the TT, the start order is generally the race number order. This is to ensure that for the race and practice, the fast lads start with the fast lads and there isn't too much overtaking... because it's bloody hard to overtake and can be a wee bit dangerous to make a pass on a 130mph corner.

A higher race number also enjoys other priveliges; such as getting away first for practice (increasing your chances of managing two laps per session and getting any laps in if the weather is bad) and not having to be at scrooteneering at the crack of dawn. As in life... it's easier if your near the top.

I got my race number a few weeks ago... but didn't really take note. I checked it out the other night when vinyling the number boards on the BAMF.


In 2005 I was given #30 out of about 37 entrants in the Newcomers 'A'. I finished 12th. In 2006 I think I was given #60 in the Junior (which I never started because the bike pissed itself in practice) and #80 in the Senior (I may be mistaken... but it had a zero in it) in which I finished 40th.

This year, I've been given #98 in the Senior. This is out of about 110 riders - there are only 102 listed on the website but I recon a few more will be along. I'm not rated at all!

:-(

Gonna have to go fast in practice and convince the organizers that I should start further up the order!


No comments:

Post a Comment