Sunday 30 August 2009

Seventh Practice - Zeus is Against Us

It looked like a peachy day for a couple of qualifying laps around the Isle... an hour before practice and the rain starts. Bah!

Got out on the wee monster first. Conditions very much like Friday evening. Patches of rain, wet track, standing water... a few dry bits where I could get the hammer down. I still enjoyed riding the little beast - I'm not going to make any changes for the race.

(The Wee Monster over Ballaugh Bridge on Friday night - pic from Dave Kneen)

Despite the conditions and being careful in the wet, I still managed 87 and 85 mph laps with a top speed through the speedtrap on Sulby Straight of 124mph. I'm going about 10% faster than that past the Highlander (based on rpm), but that's downhill and helps overcome the meagre power she's giving out.

On the first lap Ryan Farquar slid around Guthries and put the Drixon Honda he was on into the embankment. As I came around to the waved yellow flags there was bike and debris strewn across the the road, an impact hole in the grass embankment and Farquar being loaded into the chopper that had landed beside the circuit. The impact mark in the bank looked a lot like the one I made in Scarborough more three years ago. Word in the paddock is that he's hurt his shoulder but is ok.

(the Wee Monster alone in Parc Ferme - waiting for me to return on the BAMF)

I park the monster in Parc Ferme and warm-up the Aprilia. There's been a downpour in Douglas and there is standing water everywhere. I hop on and wheel-spin down Glencrutchery road. I take it easy with cold tyres, wet road and a full fuel load. One of the top-runners on a Martin Bullock Suzuki 750 passes me on the way to Braddan Bridge... I decide to follow him and have a massive front-wheel slide on the brakes. Whooooah! I then remember that he's probably on a flyer with half a tank of gas and tyres warmed by his pit crew. Doh! I take it easy.

I keep short-shifting the beast at 8000 rpm for some strange reason. I force myself to run it up to 9500 up towards Glen Vine. Dunno why I'm doing that. On the run down past the Higlander, the wind pushes my helmet so far back that teh strap is strangling me. I get buffeted around and have to roll off the throttle. As in previous practices, I'm struggling to get the girl up to speed.

A wet road makes the going frustrating but the changes I made to the suspension are making the bike feel better... but still far off where it should be. I struggle to hang on through the bumpy sections. Down Sulby Straight I cannot get her past 8000 rpm. Not good - turns out I was only getting 130mph through the speed trap... I should be getting at least 150-160 on her! She accelerates like a rocket but I just can't keep her going. I think it's one or more likely, a combination of three things:
1) The wind buffeting is forcing me to roll off
2) The hard suspension is making the bike unridable at high speed and I'm forced to roll off
3) At high speed the engine is starved of air (high and low pressure science stuff) and losing big power

(The BAMF over Ballaugh Bridge on Friday night - pic from Dave Kneen)

When I get to the mountain, there's been another downpour and the circuit is very wet. The back of the bike is moving around a lot and feels awful. I'm going being more and more cautious. I ease her around the Verandah and get gently on the power... the revs rise and the rear tyre breaks traction and I'm going sideways. Fuuuuuck! I ease off the gas and she straightens up... beyond the outside edge of the track is just grey, cloud-filled air as the mountain plummets to the valley below. "I ain't going down there!"

I ease off even more. The rear is still moving about and sliding everywhere. Slower, slower. I give up on qualifying as my sense of self-preservation kicks in. I make it down ok. Then, half-way through Bedstead Corner the BAMF starts accelerating by herself. "What the f...?" I quickly pull in the clutch and she starts revving her tits off! "Jeeesus!" I hit the kill switch and coast to a stop against the embankment. "What the fuck was that?" I check the throttle. It's okay and snaps shut when I let it go. Huh?

I start her up. Sounds fine. Blip the throttle. Fine. A quick look around - nothing amiss. I click her into gear and carefull pull off... finger hovering over the clutch to finish an abysmal lap.

I'm pissed off with the handling problems and lack of speed of the BAMF. And then the throttle/revving thing at Bedstead... foookin' shite! Still haven't qualified on either bike.

The Gods of Weather are against us.

No comments:

Post a Comment