Saturday 29 August 2009

Sixth Practice - It's a Bit Greazy Out There

The bikes were all ready to rock 'n roll yesterday, so we took the morning out and took a pootle down to the Calf of Man. Very pretty, but the wind was howling!


I setup in the 'day paddock' in the afternoon. It's hardstand so although it's away from my mates, the bikes aren't going to get covered in mud. We had 'sharp' showers in the afternoon, interspersed with some sunshine... this weather continued into the evening practice.


(Sunshine and howling wind at the Calf of Man)

The Ultralightweights were out first. The wee monster was feeling good, the changes we made to the rear suspension were definitely in the right direction. There was rain around the circuit - some places dry, some wet and some with standing water. There were enough dry bits to have some fun. For the first time I felt comfortable on the bike... it soaked up most of the bumps and only shook it's head a few times. I was having fun!

I was only going to do one lap and then come in with some time to get ready to take out the BAMF... but I was enjoying it so much I kept going for a second lap! I've probably said this before, but the feeling of flying along closed roads in the evening light on the IOM is incredible. :-)

(Wee Monster through Appledean)

I come into Parc Ferme after lap 2 to find all the Senior and Junior bikes had left already and the BAMF was getting quite lonely in pit-lane. I jog from Parc Ferme to pit lane, climb aboard the old girl and head down Glencrutchery Road.

Having just come in form two laps on the Monster I'm warmed up, psyched up and have to continually remind myself that I'm carrying a full fuel load (an extra 15 kilos or so on the bike has a major affect on handling) and am on cold tyres. "Take it easy" I keep telling myself.

She's feeling better... suspension still too hard and I struggle to see the road ahead on some of the bumpy sections - it's like I'm holding a jack-hammer! But she's not about to throw my into the hedges like on Tuesday and Wedesday night. The Mountain is wet and there is loads of standing water... and windy as fuck. I get blown around at 140 mph so take it easy. I don't see another rider the entire lap until Ryan Farquar passes me while going up the Mountain Mile. I try and stay with him and learn... but after the first turn he's gone! I guess that's why he's a TT winner. I blast down Glencrutchery road for a second lapon the BAMF.

(Opening up the BAMF through a dry and sunny Appledean where it was raining a lap before!)

The track conditions are changing from lap to lap. Union Mills: Lap 1: dry. Lap 2: rain and standing water. Lap 3: wet. lap 4: damp patches but dry. I ride to the conditions and take note of the flags at the marshal posts. I take it easy in the wet and wind the bike up in the dry. I don't see another bike until I catch a travelling marshal at Windy Corner. The whole of race control and the 570 marshals are all waiting for me to finish my lap. It's an honor! I'm having fun!

Lap times:
Monster lap 1: 86.188 mph
Monster lap 1: 85.968 mph
BAMF lap 1: 86.258 mph
BAMF lap 2: 85.455 mph

Consistent. I'm I'm happy that I was fast where I could go fast. Problem is... I still haven't qualified for the race on either bike. I need 90 mph on the Monster and 98 mph on the Aprilia.

Tonight is the final timed practice. I need the conditions to be dry... and I need to go fast... I need to qualify!

No pressure then. :-)

Oh - Nic has been cooking up a gourmet storm in the kitchen every night - first-class race support!

No comments:

Post a Comment